4.19.2014

Half-Bathroom Reveal


It's been a long time comin'!
This little space is not 100% complete, but with the exception of a window treatment, it's ready to be enjoyed.


Months ago, I had to take a long break from my living room projects when our tile installer called on a Friday and asked us if we would be ready for our new floor to begin installation on Monday. We couldn't say no. We had been waiting a year or so to get this situation fixed!  So that weekend, we demolished the bathroom. And by we, I mean my husband and a sawz-all. He rippeth out, I maketh beautiful!

{Just to recap, we had installed new tile 3 years ago, and much to our surprise, about a year after installation the grout started cracking and chipping, and the tiles were coming loose.  That's how this whole process came to start, although we had wanted to renovate this bathroom for some time.}



 So, after dreaming and pinning from inspiring blogs, I created a design board, which I really didn't stray too far from, besides the wall color.


I had a little debacle with ordering the Montaigne Vanity from Home Decorators collection, a piece which I had a crush on for years! It just goes to show, you must always measure twice and cut, er... order once.  But that gave me the chance to try out my new Kreg Jig I got from my husband for Christmas, and build a similar vanity using my own modified version of this vanity from Ana White. Ah, I love new tools! 


I had painted the ceiling a month or so prior to demolition with a free sample of Clark & Kennsington paint I got from Ace Hardware. They used to give those away quite frequently. They should start that up again. ;) Then I painted the upper portion of the walls a different color than what I had specified on my design board. After seeing a photo on Young House Love's site, I decided to go with a darker gray up top; Benjamin Moore's Kendall Charcoal (HC-166), instead of continuing the minty ceiling color onto the walls, as originally planned. I'm happy I did, because the contrast with the planks and the ceiling is refreshing!


 While the new floors were being installed, I got busy planking the walls. Any excuse to use my air compressor, and I'm happy! This process moved quite quickly by myself, but I can't imagine planking a large space, like some inspiring bloggers have done. My biggest challenge was cutting around the window, toilet paper holder, and all of the electrical boxes. Electrical work was something else I also tackled for the first time while working on this bathroom!

Then I primed a couple of coats and painted a few more, and sealed it all off with a coat or two (depending on the area) of Polycrilic.

After the floor and walls were complete, I set the vanity in place and had a template made for the quartz counter tops. And then we waited... 4 weeks. I suppose this would have been the perfect time to get those doors done in the living room, but I didn't. 


I worked on other projects, like renewing the sconces in the bathroom...


 and painting a couple of baskets as storage for the vanity (this is an unseen action shot of how I sometimes get projects done with the boys).


A month had come and gone just like that. Who am I kidding? We were in the dead of winter just trying to survive the Michigan Snowpocalypse of 2014! But we kept busy, and waited patiently. As soon as I got the call that my vanity top was done, I dragged the boys out of bed to pick it up! I saved $80 and installed the counter top myself by applying a bead of silicon adhesive to the vanity, and then caulked the two edged with a waterproof silicon caulk as well. Super easy, since this piece weighs only about 50 pounds.


Then I half-way succeeded to hook up the plumbing myself. I installed the faucet, but I didn't have the right drain pipe (or know-how) to complete that myself. One quick call to our plumber, and the drain was hooked up the next day! Now we can wash our hands ensured that water won't be leaking all over my precious vanity.

After placing the baskets, a sweet little painted pot with a succulent my little guy picked out, and hanging the mirror & a painting my husband and I got in Key West from our wedding/honeymoon, the bathroom is complete. Enjoy some photos while I continue my search for the hand towel that started it all!





And now for everyone's favorite shot, the side by side before and after:



So, what do you think? I love it so much that I'm trying to figure out how to get a mattress to fit. :)

Sources:
Ceiling Color: Benjamin Moore Fresh Dew
Wall Color: Benjamin Moore Kendall Charcoal
Plank Color: Benjamin Moore White Down
Floor Tile: MS International Metro Charcoal @ Home Depot
Vanity: DIY
Baskets: Found at Meijer and Dipped
Countertop: Cotton White Quartz fabricated by Top Of The World
Faucet: Pfister Ashfield in Tuscan Bronze
Sink: Kohler Kelston Undermount in Biscuit

Linking up to:


33 comments:

  1. Love the vanity, and mirror, and planked walls, and painted baskets, and sconces...oh shoot I love this entire bathroom makeover! I really admire you for doing all these projects yourself! Wow amazing! Thanks for sharing! Have a wonderful Easter weekend!! ~Kathy @The Daily Nest

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Kathy! All of these projects were so fun to work on, and I learned a lot in the process. I just love seeing it all come together!

      Delete
  2. Wow, it looks amazing! You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saw your feature over at DD&D. Beautiful bathroom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you so much for taking the time to check out my blog, Michelle! :) I'm glad you liked this room so much.

      Delete
  5. This looks AMAZING, Linsdey! I love the plank wall and the sink base, and everything else. Now you have me wanting to tackle my powder room :) Love your blog! Thanks so much for stopping by mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tasha,
      Thank you! A year later, and I'm still loving this little room!

      Delete
  6. Love, Love, Love your bathroom. The dark walls look great against the planked wall and that mirror is amazing. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your beautiful bathroom makeover is being featured today on, Your Designs This Time! I hope to see you at the party today! Have a great week :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much Katie!
      I love reading your blog and have added it to my blogger list to peruse each morning.

      Delete
  7. Is the other half done by now? Everything looks perfect, even if it’s just a “half-done” reveal. You must be excited about the outcome of this project. Have a good day!

    Dan Rizzi @ I.P.Q. Construction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry for the confusion (and time lapse), Dan. Perhaps I should have called this a "Powder Room Reveal". We sometimes call a bathroom with just a sink and toilet a half-bathroom. It's complete, besides the window treatment. Thank you for the compliment!

      Delete
  8. What a gorgeous space! I love the mirror and vanity.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lindsey! I found you over at Little House of Four. I absolutely LOVE your vanity!!! I have been searching Pinterest for ideas for our guest bath and I think you just helped solve my dilemma. Great job on everything in the room!

    Rosy
    justmyrosylife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rosy!
      I'm happy to give you some inspiration for your bathroom remodel. That's one of my biggest goals with this little blog!

      Delete
  10. Love everything about this! The planked walls are perfect, and I can't believe you built that vanity yourself! Amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen!
      Yes the planked walls add lots of character and brighten up this little space.

      Delete
  11. What a fabulous bathroom! I love all your little details, and the plank walls and vanity are my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This reveal deserves a drumroll! Even if this just a half-reveal, the difference is totally impressive. It looks nice before, but now it looks more urbane and stylish, with its new perky stuff and fashionable color combination. Thanks for sharing it with us!

    Fred Richardson @ SGK Home Solutions, Inc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your comment, Fred! Thank you!

      Delete
  13. Looks beautiful! Love those planked walls! Thanks so much for linking up at Get Your DIY On!

    ~Abby =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your compliments, Abby! And thank you for hosting the link up!

      Delete
  14. You altered almost everything except the window, huh? Well, I think that all the changes look great! You did a great job refurbishing this bathroom. And to think that was just a half-reveal? The final outcome must be so incredible. Cheers!

    Lynne Hollaran @ Suburban Glass Service, Inc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, everything except that window, which has yet to be dressed with a window treatment!
      Thank you so much, Lynne. I should clarify that it is a full reveal, short of the window treatment, we just call it our Half-Bathroom because it's only a sink and toilet, AKA a powder room. :)

      Delete
  15. You really did a beautiful job! I love how bright & fresh everything looks. What an improvement. 

    ReplyDelete