3.11.2015

Master Suite: Design Ideas

Well, it started as a master bathroom remodel & as these things often do, has spiraled into a master suite refresh.

We have been planning to bring new life to our bathroom for a while, but it wasn't until we got new carpet in our bedroom that some things needed to change. Here's a peak at our bedroom and bedding before.



Burgundy carpet, people! Funny thing is that I was talking to a friend who has the same carpet in her house, and so do her parents. She one up'd me by informing me of the pink hexagon sink in their bathroom.  I told her "paint it white; geometric patterns are hot!" ;)

So anyway, we replaced the burgundy carpet with ...umm... a light gray carpet that coincidentally matches the walls. Oops...

But, no fear! I really feel that with some pattern on the bedding, possibly adding some contrasting drapery & finally hanging artwork, you won't even notice the matchy-matchy-ness. It's lighter & brighter, and that makes me happy! 

So here's the plan:


 Spoiler alert: I already bought the bedding. It was under $50 at Home Goods... how could I resist?!  I found some euro shams at Macy's on sale for under $16 a piece that should be coming any day, but they are not the ones pictured, so I'm hoping they will do.

That vanity though... oh that sweet vanity will be here today! It's from Restoration Hardware, and I am in love with the driftwood finish. I'll be using the same quartz top that I chose for our Half-Bathroom, because I love it that much. It's so low-maintenance & clean looking.  It's so the opposite of the pea-green speckled 4x4 tiles that surface our existing vanity & that's a beautiful thing!

See the carpet sample on the bottom? And see that round paint sample up top (Benjamin Moore - Stonington Gray)? Humor me and say they're not the same. ::sigh:: But that square paint sample is what will be coating the walls of the bathroom; Rainwashed by Sherwin Williams lightened 25%.

The ideas for rugs are from World Market; here & here. They add a fun splash of color to coordinate with the tones in the accent tile. Speaking of tile, the shower will be mainly tiled in 4"x12" white subway tile with a gray grout.

For budget purposes we've decided to keep our existing tub and reface it with wood planks to match the vanity. This won't turn it into a soaker tub unfortunately, but it will update it a little bit. I'm also thinking of installing a bamboo shade on this window in the shower room to tie in more natural elements.


Now the areas that are still in question - what to do with the two built-ins:

As much as I would love to remove this one to make this small space feel larger, it houses the switches in here that cannot be built into the wall because of the sliding door that separates this space from the vanity area. I'm thinking to paint it to match the trim (Benjamin Moore - White Down) & get some new hardware for it.


And I think this will be painted the trim color as well & possibly add some trim to the doors and drawers to mimic the vanity. New hardware is a must. I would love to figure out a way to frame this piece out, because it looks so unfinished around the edges.

Well, that's all for design ideas in this space. I've been pretty good at keeping up with this little corner of the internet lately.  If you're in need of some new recipes and food-spiration, check out my new food blog: Our Healthy Nest.  :)

3 comments:

  1. Love the design elements you've chosen for your Master Suite Makeover! Can't wait to see it when it's all finished! I found you over at The Daily Nest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane,
      Thank you so much for your sweet comment! I can't wait to get it finished and posted. I'm still figuring out what exactly to hang over our bed and how to display it. Stay tuned!

      Delete
  2. Hi guys,
    Thank you so much for this wonderful article really!
    If someone want to know more about this Virtual Warehouse I think this is the right place for you!

    ReplyDelete