4.01.2014

DIY "Dipped" Baskets

We've made major progress in the half-bathroom since I last posted. We were waiting on our quartz counter top to be fabricated, which took about three weeks. Once that was ready, I kicked it into high gear, because I was so excited to have the final piece in my hands!
I started accessorizing the bathroom with a couple of big baskets I picked up for under the sink. I searched high and low for these puppies - on the internet, and in just about every store I went to. Then one day while I was grocery shopping at Meijer, and decided to check out their selection. Low and behold, I found these beautiful, deep seagrass baskets for under $17 a piece! Since then I've seen similar baskets for around $25. Of course I couldn't just leave them as is. I decided to tie in the ceiling color, Benjamin Moore's Fresh Dew, by painting the bottom section of these baskets.
First I taped off both baskets of the area I wanted to paint, making sure they were the same. I didn't measure anything, just sort of eye-balled what I thought looked right.
Then I painted them both with regular old flat paint, a free sample from Ace Hardware in fact. I always have bad luck with the tape sticking and pealing paint off of walls, so I made sure that wouldn't happen by removing the tape while the paint was still wet.  And, ta-da! That's all... Easy peasy!
Since I'm impatient, I let them dry for a couple of hours, and placed them in their new home! They'll be used to hold extra toilet paper, the boys' wipes, some Lysol wipes for quick clean up & hand towels... if I ever find what I did with them. I chose the colors for this bathroom from a hand towel that I had from World Market, now I don't know where I put my stack before we demolished this room.  And as you can see from this photo, the sink is hooked up and working great. I love it so much, that I will walk across the house to wash my hands here!
And here's a little sneak peak of the counter top and sink.  That little pot got a quick paint job as well, and a lovely little Donkey Tail succulent Ty picked out at Home Depot last week. Now I'm just waiting on the new toilet paper holder, and I think we're ready for the reveal. Stay tuned! :)

Featured at:
Gorgeous Home Projects

Linking up to:
Just A Girl & Her Blog - Hit Me with Your Best Shot #13
A Bowl Full of Lemons - One Project at a Time
I Heart Nap Time - Link Party Palooza #35
Lolly Jane - Sunday Soiree Link Party
DIY Show Off - That DIY Party
The Golden Sycamore - Inspiration Link Gallery Party

8 comments:

  1. I love your baskets, they look so great painted. We don't have a Meijer where we live now but I will have to check it out next time we go back to MI. Sometimes to store surprise me.

    Tammy @ thecoloreddoor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tammy! While I was shopping yesterday, I saw a few other things that I totally could have bought... but I have no place for them. Meijer has upped their game in the home and clothing department! Check it out! :)

      Delete
  2. I'm so jealous before i even see the whole room. What I do see if gorgeous, love that soft green. The baskets are to die for also. We don't have that store here, just CityMkt. I'll have to keep my eye out. Isn't it nice you found what you wanted at at grocery store. Happy Spring

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm really excited to reveal the room, but I need to fill the hole in the wall with a t.p. holder first. ;) The paint color is lovely, if I do say so myself. Naturally, I'm trying to think of where else to use it in my house! If you're ever in Michigan, check out Meijer. It's similar to Wal-Mart, but nicer in my opinion.

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous! What a fun way to add a little pizzaz to the space.
    Found you through Hit Me With Your Best Shot. :)
    Kim @ pinspiredhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim! I love when simple projects really tie a room together. :)

      Delete
  4. These baskets are gorgeous! They look lovely in your bathroom!

    ReplyDelete