Friday, February 21, 2014

The New Man in My Life {DIY Vanity for the Half-Bathroom}

You met the new little lady in my life recently, and now it's time to introduce you to the new man in my basement.... Kreg, AKA KregJig.

Ok, so it's not a man (I'm outnumbered as it is!). My awesome husband got it for me as a Christmas gift, and I can't believe I waited almost 2 months to use it! I admit I was nervous, but an unexpected call from the tile installer on a Thursday saying he would be here on Monday to start demolition gave me a kick to get this vanity built over the weekend.

It was quite simple actually. I followed my own modified version of Ana White's plan here, and used this vanity as inspiration. There's no way I was going to attempt doors and drawers on my first piece! Besides, that's not the look I'm going for in the half-bathroom. We don't need that much storage.

I ordered these legs in knotty pine from Osborne Wood Products, and got the rest of my pine pieces from Lowes. My cut list included:

2 - 1"x12" (34" long) - one for the back panel and one for the front panel
2 - 1"x12" (11.5" long) - one for each side panel
2 - 1"x3" (34" long) - back and front support pieces for the shelf
2 - 1"x3" (11.5" long) - side support pieces for the shelf
I used 1/4" plywood planks for the shelf, leftover from plank wall

Pretty straight forward actually. I used my Kreg Jig to drill 3/4" pocket holes in all of these pieces, then I used 1-1/4" Kreg Jig pocket screws. I drilled 2 holes in the shelf supports, and 4 holes in the panels since they will be holding a quartz counter top. If I have to add more support pieces when they come to template, then I'll figure that out.

I attached the side panel and a shelf support piece to a leg, then attached the other leg. I repeated this with the other set of legs. Once I had my sides built, I attached the front and back panels and shelf supports to one set of legs, then to the other. I had to push and hold these pieces into place so that they were lined up correctly. That's when it would have been nice to have another person to help me, but I managed.

That was the hardest part. Then I cut some planks to fit as a shelf, attached those with my nail gun, and my vanity was complete! I put one coat of Driftwood stain on to bring out the gray tones, and two coats of Pecan stain. I let those dry for 24 hours. After they were dry, I put a coat of Polycrylic on and let that dry for 24 hours, then put another coat on. It should be protected now!  If it gets a little banged up by the munchkins of the house, I'm going for a rustic look anyway. ;)

Here she is, just waiting for a top-
Now I just have to finish the planks walls, and we'll be ready to place the vanity and template for counter tops I'm happy with how all of these pieces are coming together, and I'm very excited to install them into the room!

Linking Up To:
I Heart Nap Time
AKA Design + Life 
Tatertots and Jello - Link Party Palooza 
Just a Girl & Her Blog - Be Bold Challenge Link Party 
The Golden Sycamore - Inspiration Gallery Link Party 
Hit Me With Your Best Shot #8
Be Bold Link Party

Featured at:
Tatertots And Jello - Great Ideas - 23 Wood DIY Projects!!
The Woodgrain Cottage - 10 Great Be Bold Ideas

2 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous! Better than anything you'd find in a store. Totally inspired.

    (stopping over from Tatertots and Jello.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim! It was pretty easy to make, and fun to see the finished product!

      Delete