6.25.2014

Seven Scrumptious Ways to Enjoy Strawberries






It's berry season here in Michigan, and I couldn't be more excited! One of my favorite things to do with the boys in the summer is pick fresh berries - strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries - we pick 'em all!

Last year we picked at a farm right by our house, which was convenient, but the berries weren't the sweetest. This year we drove north a bit and found a fun farm with the juiciest strawberries, ice cream, and a small petting zoo.


The boys were each given a small basket to put their picked strawberries in, then they added theirs into my big basket. Matt, of course, was a big helper! He's 4, but for the majority of his life, he has turned play time into work time. I blame his dad. ;) It's a great quality to have though, especially in this situation. He emptied his basket into mine 4 or 5 times! Ty had fun too, although he didn't pick as many as the worker bee.  In the end, we picked 11 pounds of fresh strawberries. Afterwards we ate ice cream for lunch (don't judge!) and loved on the baby pigs, sheep, goats, cow and bunny a little, before heading home.


That afternoon I got to work hulling and slicing strawberries in preparation for recipes that I had in my head. I've compiled a few recipes for you all to enjoy!

Recipe
Freezing Strawberries
   
Strawberry Pie
I imagine you just dip in yogurt and freeze.

Strawberry Shortcake Bars
Easy Freezer Jam
Strawberry Mojitos
I personally can't wait to make a mojito and drink is with a slice of fresh strawberry pie!
Happy hump day!

1 comment: